As cannabis gains more social acceptance around the world, we can see weed popping up in all sorts of industries and in almost every area of our lives. And while it’s no wonder we hear on a daily basis about the benefits of cannabis, linking its use to physical fitness and working out would seem like a distant concept.
Well, would it?
Cannabis is often associated with laziness, extreme munchies and low levels of physical activity. However, we know that it’s a stereotype that is largely individual-dependant. While some strains will leave you in a mellow state of laziness for hours, others will invigorate you and fill you with motivation, euphoria, and the urge to exercise.
In this article, we’ll take a look at the concept of working out with weed. We’ll also answer which type of cannabis is better for exercising — sativa or indica — and show you a list of our best strains fitness aficionados.
Of course, along with our tips for working out with cannabis.
Let’s get started.
Can Working out with Weed Improve Your Performance and Overall Results?
Yes. Contrary to a popular belief, working out with weed can help you at many levels, including:
- Improved focus
- Higher endurance
- Relief from anxiety
- Reduced muscle tension
- Curbed post-workout inflammation
- Improved appetite
- Better regulation of sleep-wake cycle
- Faster regeneration
Of course, you’re not going to get all of these effects from using just one type of strain.
Let’s see what benefits sativa and indica strains can offer to active people.
A Brief Overview of Cannabis Strains & Their Effects
Please note that the sativa-indica classification of cannabis is a very simplified system. For one, the majority of strains are in the hybrid spectrum these days. Secondly, and most importantly, it’s more about the cannabinoid and terpene profile of a specific strain rather than its geographic origins and morphology.
But if you’re using the sativa-indica simplification, here’s what you can expect from each variety when working out with weed:
- Energy boost
- Improved focus
- Higher endurance
- Better flow of thoughts
- Relief from chronic pain
- Increased levels of serotonin (mood, appetite, and sleep regulator)
- Reduced fatigue
- For morning and daytime use
- Mental relaxation
- Relief from physical tension
- Reduced pain
- Decreased nausea
- Increased appetite
- Higher levels of dopamine
- Better sleep
Now, let’s answer the title question.
Sativa or Indica? Which Strain Should You Use Before
As with many things in life — it depends. In the case of working out with weed, choosing between sativa and indica strains boils down to what effects you’re seeking and when do you want to consume your herb.
Sativa Before Workout
A good sativa strain with the right terpene profile — it’s best if limonene is the dominating one — can elevate your next workout to a whole new level.
Sativa varieties may prove invaluable if you need motivation for your next exercise session and you’re looking for new ways to make it more enjoyable. This type of cannabis can also set you in the right mindset, with just enough energy and focus to improve both your physical and mental endurance.
And, if you’re the wake n’ bake person, you may add a sativa strain to your morning coffee to get the best pre-workout formula ever.
Last but not least, sativa flowers come in handy when you feel stressed and anxious, and you’d like to take some burden off your head to push yourself, be it in the gym or in the wild.
Indica Post Workout
Indica strains are believed to create a body-focused high that relieves all kinds of physical tension, including acute and chronic pain. Moreover, people in the fitness industry appreciate the ability of indica flowers to stimulate appetite and sedate the user. When consumed in the evening or before bedtime, an indica strain can contribute to a full-time quality rest during the night.
Choosing a purebred indica may not be the best choice, as most athletes are looking for the cerebral stimulation when working out. Nev ertheless, the aforementioned body high can be a gamechanger for those seeking relief from muscle strains, inflammation, soreness, and appetite problems.
Best Sativa Strains for Working out with Weed
- Green Crack: this strain provides unparalleled motivation with invigorating effects that matches perfectly with activities like running, dancing, or hiking. Want to stay hyper-focused? Then Green Crack is your best bet.
- Sour Cheese: this sativa-dominant hybrid is all about high energy levels combined with distinct relaxing properties on the mind, which makes it perfect for people who enjoy creative sports.
- Harlequin: this is a 75% sativa-dominant strain with high CBD levels and a low THC content, so if you want a flower that will help you push one more rep or run a longer distance than usual, Harlequin makes for a great match. Plus, the psychoactive effects from this strain are very mild due to CBD/THC ratios.
- Super Silver Haze: Having problems with attention or fatigue? Here’s the answer to your problems. SSH is known for producing that happily tingling sensation in the back of your head, making every physical activity more enjoyable. It’s also a decent energy booster.
- Pineapple: This exotic variety has some unique effects that make the user feel as if they were having some sort of out-of-body experience while being completely aware at the same time. It’s like you can look at yourself from a 3rd person’s perspective but still remain focused and full of positive attitude towards your workout. Pineapple also makes for a great music companion, so think about it next time you’re setting up a playlist for your active time.
Once you decide to break that stoner stereotype in your mind when it comes to working out with weed, you’ll notice that there are ripe opportunities for improving your physical and mental performance using natural resources. What was once associated with snacking couch potatoes is now rumored to revolutionize the fitness industry.
Do you like working out with weed? Which strains do you use for your routine — sativa or indica?